Cooperative Education (CON 349)
Construction Management Students,
NOW is the time to begin thinking about a summer co-op experience. The construction industry remains in high gear and employers are continually contacting the EKU Construction Management program with co-op opportunities. DO NOT WORK ALL SUMMER AND THEN ASK TO RECEIVE CREDIT, requests must be made now or as soon as you have a co-op position. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE PROCESS DESCRIBED BELOW!
To participate in a co-op experience, you must go through the Office of Academic and Career Services and complete the information through the Handshake system. Make sure to review the attached guide to “Handshake Experience Instructions”. The co-op course is CON 349 and you cannot register for the course. The Office of Academic & Career Services will complete the process and register you for CON 349 once you have completed all of the information in Handshake.
The process of requesting a co-op experience is outlined on the Office of Academic & Career Services (https://oacs.eku.edu/co-opinternships).
To get started:
- logon to Handshake
- build your Profile
- click on Career Center and then Surveys and complete the Co-op/Internship Interest Form (this will give you access to submit your experience). Email Zoie Webb: firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not have access to this survey.
- if you have a potential employer / experience, your request will move forward. If you do not have a potential employer, you can check with the co-op site or the Construction Management faculty about possible opportunities.
- typical co-ops are one (1) credit hour per experience (80 work hours required). Two (2) credit hours can be requested depending on the work or classification (junior/senior)
Once the Experience request has been completed (make sure the Co-op Orientation Agreement & the EKU Waiver are uploaded to your Handshake experience), the Experience request must receive approvals from the employer, co-op coordinator (me) and the Office of Academic & Career Services.
If you plan on a co-op experience for summer, please email the following information (all required in Handshake) to email@example.com:
- potential employer
- name of supervisor
- title of the position
- description of the position (not just the job title, but a short 3-4 sentence description)
- time frame you are planning to work
To begin the process, you will need to log into your Handshake: https://eku.joinhandshake.com/login.
Zoie Webb, Co-op and Internship Coordinator
Office of Academic & Career Services
Whitlock Building 468
If you do not follow the process, you may not lose the opportunity to count your co-op experience. DO NOT wait until the end of the co-op and request it to be added - the chances that will happen are slim. So take responsibility to make sure it is done correctly now!